Greenville, Anderson, and Spartanburg, South Carolina, and Surrounding Counties
At The White Davis & White Law Firm in Anderson, South Carolina, we know how difficult it is for everyone involved when family legal issues arise. It is in everyone's best interests to consult an experienced and knowledgeable family law lawyer when choosing to take action in pursuit of any of the following:
- Custody issues
- Termination of parental rights
If you have reached the point where you are questioning your marriage and whether or not you want to terminate it, it is wise to consult an experienced divorce attorney who can help you to consider the pros and cons of your decision, as well as develop a strategy to protect your rights.
In South Carolina, both parents (if they are married) have equal rights to their children until one is granted custody by a court order. The decision is made based on evidence proving what is in the child's best interests.
Unfortunately, child custody battles often become bitter and difficult for everyone involved. It is best to remember a few important points:
- Custody is about what is best for the children.
- Avoid complacency. Watch what you say in public and collect as much evidence as possible to prove your case.
- Fight fairly. Trading insults and smearing each other's reputation will only serve to further damage the children mentally.
- Be prepared for the decision. The possibility that your estranged spouse may be awarded custody is very real depending on the circumstances of your case. Be prepared to accept visitation rights if it is truly in the best interest of the children.
Termination of Parental Rights
As difficult as it may be for the children to accept that they can no longer spend time with the other parent, in some cases, termination of parental rights may prove to be in their best interest. Some grounds for termination include:
- Severity or pattern of abuse or neglect
- Failure to remedy conditions
- Failure to visit
- Failure to support
- Diagnosable condition
- Length of foster care
- Criminal convictions for abuse
Adoption in South Carolina can be a confusing time for everyone involved. During your adoption proceedings, be sure to have a knowledgeable lawyer to discuss legalities as they pop up. The different types of legal adoption include:
- Agency adoptions
- International adoptions
- Stepparent adoptions
- Relative adoptions
- Consent adoptions
- Other adoptions
Family law in South Carolina, as in any other state, can be confusing, difficult, painful, or gratifying for those involved in the case. It is best for everyone involved if the individual parties seek legal counsel from experienced family law attorneys in order to make the process as smooth and painless as possible.
If you or someone you care about is contemplating divorce or is involved in any other legal matter concerning family law in Greenville, Anderson or Spartanburg, South Carolina, or the surrounding counties, please contact The White Davis & White Law Firm to schedule a consultation so that we may begin helping you through this difficult and confusing time.